Sex Crimes Defense Attorney
Sexual Abuse Lawyer Illinois
Sexual Abuse Lawyer in Illinois. No one ever wants to hear they’re being charged with a sex crime. The media, public and even friends or family can quickly make assumptions, and you’re left with embarrassment and even the prospect of losing your means of making a living. The Drummond Law sexual abuse lawyer team in Illinois knows that you are innocent until proven guilty and will fight in your corner so that a prosecution, judge and jury know that. If you’ve been charged with a sex crime in Illinois, call a Drummond Law sexual abuse lawyer today at 217-388-1103 or contact us online for a free consultation and to get the best possible results in your case.
Understanding Sexual Abuse Laws in Illinois
- Through force or the threat of force
- When the offender knows that the victim is unable to consent or does not understand the nature of the act
Sexual abuse is a Class A misdemeanor when “sexual conduct” or “sexual penetration” is committed:
- By someone under 17 to a victim between the ages of 9 and 17
- When the victim is between 13 and 17 years of age and the offender is less than 5 years older
The punishment for a Class A misdemeanor is up to 1 year in county jail and a fine between $75 and $2,500.
You can see Illinois’s definition of “sexual conduct” in 720 ILCS 5/11-0.1.
Aggravated Sexual Abuse in Illinois
Our Illinois sexual abuse lawyer team also takes on aggravated sexual abuse cases. Under 720 ILCS 5/11-1.60 a charge of sexual abuse can be elevated to aggravated sexual abuse if the following conditions are present, for example if they used a gun, the victim was disabled or the offender and victim had a large age disparity when either the victim or both were a minor.
Obviously, Illinois courts take sexual abuse crimes very seriously. They are zealously prosecuted and the punishments are severe. That’s why you need an experienced and equally zealous defense lawyer on your side to ensure your freedom and future are as well protected as possible.
How a Sexual Abuse Lawyer in Illinois Can Help
When you hire an Illinois sexual abuse lawyer, we will discuss your case with you in a non-judgmental fashion. As we investigate and grow to understand the facts of the case, we’ll work with you to develop an effective defense strategy. While we always seek to have charges dismissed, your sexual abuse lawyer may recommend a plea bargain or pleading down to a lesser charge depending on the specifics of your case. If we have to, our sexual abuse lawyer team will take the case to trial and fight for your rights and freedom in front of an Illinois jury.
Some of the ways your Illinois sexual abuse lawyer at Drummond Law fight for you are by:
- Examining any physical or DNA evidence to see if it does not corroborate the accuser’s story.
- Questioning the reliability of eyewitnesses.
- Examining the police investigation to determine if your Fourth Amendment and Fifth Amendment rights were violated. If so, much of the evidence against you may be inadmissible.
- Determining if the accuser’s story keeps changing, is inconsistent, does not add up to the facts of the case or if they have any motives to make a false allegation.
- Providing context and making sure the judge and jury know your side of the story.
- Collecting evidence to corroborate your story.
Whatever the evidence shows, an Illinois sexual abuse lawyer at Drummond Law be by your side and provide passionate and dedicated legal advocacy. We’ll provide you with all of the information you need and explain the law and how the legal process works so you can make the best decision for your future.
Illinois Sexual Abuse Lawyer | Drummond Law
Everyone deserves to have their day in court, and no one has the right to say that you’re guilty until it has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The Drummond Law sexual abuse lawyer team has been seeking and delivering justice to those who need it for over 40 years. It may seem like the world’s against you, but we are here to let you know that you are not alone. Call an Illinois sexual abuse lawyer at Drummond Law today at 217-388-1103 or contact us online for a free case review.